Arctic Sunrise


This painting started with a wet-into-wet watercolour background, once it had dried, I used the shapes that had formed within it as inspiration for the painting.

I painted most of it using two sizes of round brush, however I found a flat brush was more effective for the pine leaves. Throughout the process, I drew in some of the finer details with watercolour pencils. 

Once the rest of the painting was finished, I went back over some areas to highlight them with white gouache. Finally, I brushed water over where I wanted the sun and sprinkled shimmer powder onto the wet paper for a vibrant and shimmery sun.
 

-

Daler Rowney A4 Aquafine Texture watercolour paper

Windsor & Newton Cotman watercolour paints

Crawford & Black watercolour pencils

Tonic Studios Nuvo Shimmer Powder in 'Solar Flare'

Caran D'ache white gouache paint

-