Raven and the Moon

Photo of the card

[Image ID] A round 80th birthday card. A silhouette of a fairy crouched on a branch, on a moonlit night. A circle with the number 80 in it sits below the branch in the bottom left corner. [description end]


This card was inspired by a tutorial that Lavinia Stamps shared on Youtube recently. I was looking for ideas for an 80th birthday card at the time and when I saw this tutorial I knew it was going to be the basis for the card. The specific tutorial I was inspired by can be found here.

I created the round card base by tracing around a large round plastic pot. I folded the card first, and positioned the plastic pot near the corner – this way I could ensure I had a straight line at the bottom as well. I had to reinforce the card base with a layer of white paper on the inside so it didn’t fall over, as the card I used for the base wasn’t quite thick enough to stay upright.

The card front itself was quite simple in terms of technique; all of the stamps were stamped in black ink, which I sometimes went over with a fineliner if there were any gaps in the stamping. The patches of the background were ink blended with two colours, a blue and a brown, whilst the round shape of the moon was done using a paper ‘mask’ made with a 1 inch circle punch. I used the same 1-inch circle punch to cut out the ‘80’ circle in the bottom left corner.


Photo of the card tilted
[Image ID] Card is tilted so the shiny frost effects on the fairy wings, and elsewhere, can be seen more clearly. [description end]



The sparkly parts used a mixture of a silver uniball glitter gel pen, and stickles glitter glue in the colour ‘starlight’. The ‘80’ was hand written.


-

Stamps: Raven (the fairy) & Tree of Courage by Lavinia Stamps

Silver glitter pen: Uniball

Assorted black fineliners

Stickles Glitter Glue in the colour ‘Stardust'

Versafine Clair stamping inks: Nocturne, Acorn, & Warm Breeze

-