Street on a Rainy Evening

Street on a Rainy Evening artwork

-

[Image ID] A watercolour painting of two buildings on a street, with an alley disappearing off between them. The lower windows of the buildings are bays, whilst the upper ones are tall, narrow and shuttered. A lit street lamp stands outside the building on the right, and another can be seen just inside the alley. [description end]

-



I enjoy looking at watercolour paintings of street scenes, so I was intrigued to try painting one myself. The composition wasn’t based on anything in particular, and is simply what I imagined when I sat down to begin painting. I wanted the focus of this painting to be on the streetlights and the way their light would reflect on wet pavement on a rainy night.

Street on a Rainy Evening artwork Tilted

-

[Image ID] In this photo the painting is tilted so the shine in the upper windows and illumination of, and from, the lamps can be seen more clearly. [description end]

-


The shine from the metallic paint can be seen much more clearly in this second photo, as it makes the glass part of the streetlights appear a bright yellow. The metallic watercolours I used worked very well because they could be used at various levels of dilution. I used limited water to paint the metallic onto the lights, but gradually diluted it more for the pavement reflections and the windows. Once all the paint was dried, I lightly outlined the painting with a 0.05 black fineliner.

 

-

Watercolour Paints: Windsor & Newton Cotman range

Metallic Watercolours: Gansai Tambi Starry Colours

Watercolour Paper: Daler Rowney Aquafine

Fineliner: Unipin waterproof in 0.05

-


Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2023, all rights reserved.