In the Moonlit Hallway

In the Moonlit Hallway artwork

[Image ID] A digital portrait of a female character by a window on a moonlit night. She has purple hair, and is wearing a yellowy brown top and red skirt. She is wearing brown lace up ankle boots. Moonlight is streaming in through the Gothic style window. [description end]


Despite being one of the main characters in my novel project, I last painted Cora all the way back in 2018 – that piece can be seen here. This illustration was the eventual result of a longstanding urge to draw her again, and came about after I finally settled on an updated design for her. Her updated design much better reflects elements of Victorian and steampunk fashion styles which I had always wanted to be visually present in her design.

Although most often seen in my logo or profile picture, Cycloth is actually from Candle of Ice and here she can be seen peeking out from behind Cora’s skirt.

The rays of moonlight streaming in through the arched gothic window, and casting light across Cora, were an important part of the composition right from the beginning. I like working with light in general, but this particular kind of ‘light beam’ can create particularly interesting effects.


I have a timelapse of my process on YouTube, which can be watched below:

 


-

Time taken: 5 hours & 45 minutes

Program: FireAlpaca

Drawing Tablet: Gaomon M106K

Characters: Cora (human) & Cycloth (creature), from my fantasy novel project – Candle Of Ice

-



Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2023, all rights reserved.