Art Journal: Books & Plants

Photo 1

[Image ID] A double page art journal spread showing three floating shelves. On the left shelf is a jar with a plant in it. On the top shelf on the right is a bottle of seedlings in water and on the bottom shelf are three upright books and one book lying down. [description end]


I haven’t had much inspiration to work in my art journal for a while, but I recently completed this page.

The background was created several months ago using a mixture of acrylic paint, mica mist, and texture paste. When I returned to working on this page I decided to add ‘floating shelves’ using ink-blended card which had been embossed with a wood grain embossing folder. The two jars were cut from a mixture of tracing and kraft paper. For the one on the left I cut the larger layer from tracing paper and the smaller layer from the kraft. However the one on the right is actually three layers – a kraft backing with a large and a small layer of tracing paper on top. I coloured the plants in the bottle on the back of the final tracing paper layer before I glued it on top of the others.



Photo 2

[Image ID] A different angle of the two pages so you can see the shiny parts. [description end]


The books were cut with some dies designed for the purpose and I coloured them with a selection of my usual Fabre-Castell Pitt Artist pens.

Once the rest of the page was completed I added some imperfect stamping using a text stamp around various areas of the page, as well as some dark shadows under each shelf.


-

Plant & jar dies: ‘Bouquets & Buttermilk’ die set by Tonic Studios

Book dies: Lovable Library die set by Tonic Studios

Wood grain embossing folder: Freebie with a magazine from several years ago

Pattern stencil: Moroccan Screen by Pretty Quick

Text stamp: IndigoBlu Magazine Box Kit No.7

-