Inktober 2023: prompts 15-22

Cover image


[Image ID] Eight images of paintings with only part of each showing. Across the middle is a black box with Inktober 2023: 15-22 written in bold white text. [description end]



This is the third of four posts sharing my paintings from the #Inktober 2023 challenge. If you missed the previous posts, or would like another look at them, they can be found using the links below:


Prompt 15 - Dagger

Prompt 15

[Image ID] Watercolour, in browns and greys, of a dagger on top of some pieces of paper. [description end]





For this painting I drew inspiration from Candle of Ice (my fantasy novel project), and ended up including numerous subtle details associated with it into this scene such as the sketch of a building on one of the sheets of paper. The wooden object on the left of the painting is intentionally similar to the one Mikan (one of my characters) is seen holding in ‘On a Mission’.

Beyond Candle of Ice references, I wanted to give a sense of a lamplit desk where someone is plotting out their next move against their enemy.






Prompt 16 - Radio


Prompt 16

[Image ID] Watercolour of a vintage tea tray and radio on a table. [description end]




I always knew I would be painting an old style of radio, rather than a modern one, so I chose a design for that and built the rest of the painting around it. I imagine this as a table in a Victorian drawing room, where tea has just been served.






Prompt 17 - Blade

Prompt 17

[Image ID] Watercolour of a sword sticking out of the sea bed. [description end]





The prompt lent itself to painting a sword, and I decided to combine the idea of Excalibur with the steampunk aesthetic. Although this wasn’t originally my intention, I realised that the background gives the feeling the sword is actually underwater and embedded into the seafloor. Perhaps it fell out of a sinking ship?






Prompt 18 - Storm


Prompt 18

[Image ID] Watercolour of windswept trees and a stormy sky in blue, purple and grey tones. [description end]




There were numerous ways to depict a storm, but rather than go for the classic lightning and slashing rain I thought I’d focus on the way trees move in strong winds.






Prompt 19 - Plump

Prompt 19

[Image ID] A still life of a group of pumpkins. [description end]


This painting was inspired by a collection of fake pumpkins being used to decorate our coffee table. I took a photo of the arrangement and decided to replicate it in paint, but with a reduced colour scheme. Working with a limited colour palette is always interesting because it forces more focus onto the shape and light of the scene, rather than creating contrast with colour.






Prompt 20 - Frost

Prompt 20

[Image ID] Watercolour of a priory-esque ruin with a frosty setting. [description end]




The background of this piece was originally going to be for a different prompt but I’d put salt into the wet pools of paint and when I came back to it later the sky had gained a very frosty-looking effect. I enjoy painting ruins, and they would keep with the cool tone of the painting, so I thought the priory-esque ruined walls would be a good focal point for the painting.






Prompt 21 – Chains

Prompt 21
[Image ID] A cream candle on a steampunk candleholder. There is a prominent light halo above the flame. [description end]




This was another prompt that let me embrace the steampunk aesthetic, which is something I always enjoy painting. I’d always thought that a candle holder would be a good subject for a steampunk painting, but this prompt provided the final ‘push’ to make it happen. Candles are quite a familiar subject to me, and have been sketched numerous times as a result of the main character from my fantasy novel project having one incorporated into her design.






Prompt 22 - Outpost

Prompt 22

[Image ID] Watercolour of a rural scene in autumnal colours. [description end]





The inspiration here mostly came from ‘outpost’ shops commonly depicted in fantasy stories and video games which are often the last marker of human occupation on a long path through the wilderness. As it was autumn when I painted it, I thought I’d give both the building and the tree a seasonally appropriate colour scheme.






-

Watercolour paints – Windsor & Newton Cotman range

Watercolour paper – Daler Rowney Aquafine in textured (cold pressed) or smooth (hot pressed) depending on the painting.

Brush pens – Tombow Fudenosuke in black and brown

Fineliners – Steadler Triplus (colours 77 & 9)

Brushes – DaVinchi Cosmotop-Spin (red handle) round brushes in sizes 14, 8, & 5

-






Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2023, all rights reserved.