Biding Time

Biding Time artwork

[Image ID] A portrait orientated digital painting, of a female character in a sci-fi protective suit. She is leaning against the wall at the junction between two dimly lit corridors. [description end]


________

“Well?” Havoc prodded as she casually leant against the wall, “Surely you didn’t come here only to hesitate at the final hurdle?” and with that she began the descent further into the Hood’s lair, uncaring to wait for the slower pace of the informant she’d brought with her.

_______


In more recent times I’ve taken to doing a lot more general sketching between pieces intended to become finished paintings, which has the added bonus of sometimes surprising me with ideas that evolve into finished paintings.

I’d envisioned a scene of Havoc leant against a wall in a dark corridor whilst having a confrontation with someone, so I sketched it for practise, and when the sketch was finished decided that I didn't want to leave it as a mere sketch.

Process GIF


My process was a bit different to usual for this painting as I’d mapped out the lighting on the sketch using greyscale instead of colour before I’d realised what the drawing would become. Rather than start all over again, as I liked the atmosphere I’d achieved in the greyscale, I used overlay layers to add colour to it without losing the definition. Once I’d added the colour in, my process reverted to normal.

As is typical for digital paintings, a sped up version of the process is available to watch on YouTube, or by clicking the video below:




-

Time taken: 3 hours 15 minutes

Computer Type: Windows

Program: FireAlpaca

Drawing Tablet: Gaomon M106K

Character: Havoc, from Thunderbirds Are Go (2015)

-