The Lone Stone

 

The Lone Stone artwork

[Image ID] A moonlit landscape painting of a single, carved, standing stone on the bank of a stream. [Description end]


This painting was featured in the ‘Made in Peterborough’ exhibition at Peterborough cathedral in February 2024.


I started this piece to practise getting depth of light and shadow using traditional mediums. Using strong light is something I really enjoy about painting digitally, but I’ve often found that harder to achieve on paper.

The first layer of this painting was done in watercolour and mapped out the placement of the hills, sky, river, and stone. I didn’t paint the trees in at all on that layer, nor the winding path which leads towards the carved monolith.

Once the watercolour had dried, I added more detail on top using gouache. I’ve found that gouache helps to achieve the strong contrasts between dark and light that I was looking for as it is more opaque than watercolour. This is a technique I will be experimenting more with in the future, but I hope that using watercolour and gouache together will help to carry the sense of light and atmosphere that is present in my digital paintings across into my traditional work as well.


-

Watercolour paints: Windsor & Newton Cotman

Gouache paint: Castle Art

Watercolour paper: Daler Rowney Aquafine Texture

-

Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2024, all rights reserved.