Mine Ruins

Mine Ruins artwork
[Image ID] A watercolour landscape of ruined tin mine buildings perched on a rocky headland. [description end]


Industrial architecture is something I enjoy including in my work, and on this occasion I was inspired by various photos I’ve seen of Cornish tin mine buildings. For this painting I was particularly inspired by the ruins of the Crown Mines engine houses at Botallack.

This was an interesting painting to work on as the foreground has very few colours in it and so I had to focus on varying the depth of tone rather than relying on different colours to differentiate the buildings from the rock.

Usually when I include pen on my watercolour paintings I tend to outline everything. However for this piece I experimented with only adding lines to the foreground. By adding more detail only to the foreground, it helps to ‘bring forward’ those parts of the painting whilst allowing the rest to sink further into the background.

-

Watercolour paints: Windsor & Newton ‘Cotman’ range

Black brush pen: Tombow Fudenosuke (hard tip)

Watercolour paper: Daler Rowney Aquafine smooth

-


Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2024, all rights reserved.