Snowdrop Garden

Snowdrop Garden artwork
[Image ID] A watercolour painting of a pot of snowdrops and a clump of them at the foot of a tree. [description end]


I did the sketch for this piece over a year ago, but more recently found it in my pile of unfinished paintings and decided to finally complete it.

My favourite part of this painting is undoubtedly the bark of the tree. I achieved the very textured appearance of it by layering strokes of paint onto the tree, and once it was dry lightly following the outlines where two strokes met using a pen.

I’ve found that I enjoy using a brush pen to add linework over my watercolour paintings rather than a fineliner. The brush-like nib’s ability to alter the stroke size by pressure lets the strokes blend in more with the painting compared to the steady and even ones from a fineliner.

-

Watercolour paints: Windsor & Newton ‘Cotman’ range

Black brush pen: Tombow Fudenosuke (hard tip)

Watercolour paper: Daler Rowney Aquafine texture

-

Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2024, all rights reserved.