Winter Trees

Winter Trees Artwork

[Image ID] A watercolour painting of two winter trees by a lake. [description end]


Unusually, this painting started out as a digital sketch. I wasn’t sure whether I was going to paint it digitally, but ultimately chose to print out my sketch and transfer it to watercolour paper using a lightbox.

I really wanted to capture the distinctive light of winter sun on a landscape of slowly melting snow. For this reason, I used an orange watercolour pencil to transfer my sketch to the paper.

I like using watercolour pencil for my sketches as when I paint over it the pencil naturally blends into the painting and, in cases like this, adds an interesting coloured glow.

The rest of the painting was completed using a ‘reduced colour-scheme’ where I restricted myself to using only a few paint colours. Paintings like that are always a challenge, but it’s an interesting change of process that is enjoyable every now and then.

-

Watercolour paints: Windsor & Newton ‘Cotman’ range

Watercolour pencils: Castle Arts

Watercolour paper: Daler Rowney Aquafine texture

-

Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2024, all rights reserved.