Hakuryuu & Morgiana Watercolour
As with quite a few of my recent paintings, this started out as a drawing in a sketchbook that I really liked and scanned in to tidy up digitally. It took several months before I finally decided whether to finish it digitally or traditionally, and as you’ll see I ultimately chose the latter.
I have painted these two characters several times over the years, all of which can be found here under the Magi fan art tag. I felt like Hakuryuu and Morgiana’s relationship held a lot of interesting plot potential, and although the series didn’t end up doing it justice I still enjoy drawing them together.
I quickly realised, due to the fact they’re both wearing white, that this painting would need some sort of shadowy background behind to stop the figures disappearing into the surrounding paper.
In this case I made the background using Shimmer Powders from Tonic Studios. They’re basically a kind of watercolour pigment powder, but with some shiny mica in. I didn’t particularly need the sparkle aspect, but I love the way they feather and spread out as well as the mix of colours in them.
After tracing over the printed out sketch onto watercolour paper with a water proof fineliner, and using a lightbox, I carefully wetted all of the paper outside the figures and then sprinkled the shimmer powder into it.
Mostly I only use watercolour paints, but for this painting I added a little bit of watercolour pencil to both of their hair after the paint layers dried as I couldn’t get either quite right with the paint alone.
Artwork ©Dragonsflyatsunset 2026, all rights reserved.
.png)