Typewriter Art Journal

Photograph of the art journal page
-

[Image ID] A double page spread in my art journal. The edges of the pages form a frame round the image. The pages have an aged look, as the colour palette is mostly brown tones but with occasional hints of orange and light blue. The background is a wall with angular pipes crossing each other on the left-hand page leading to a pair of cogs and pipes and a large clock with roman numerals on the right-hand page. The foreground is a wooden desk. On the left is a brown typewriter with silver carriage and a blank piece of paper.

On the right-hand side of the desk is a pile of books, a quill in a bottle of ink, a globe and an armillary sphere. [description end]

-


I started this page by trying a technique suggested by Vicky Papaioannou in one of her youtube videos – to tear the edges of the art journal page and glue it to a blank spread behind. Art journals tend to become very thick by the time they are finished, so avoiding the added bulk of sticking a layer in is always helpful!

The typewriter is from the Tonic Studios ‘Showcase’ #19 die set, and I have previously shared a couple of cards made with it which can be viewed here. I created the background and typewriter on two separate occasions, and originally with no intention to put them together. Then when I was flipping through my art journal to see what unfinished pages there were, it occurred to me that the typewriter would be perfect for this one.

After adding the typewriter I drew in the desk, as well as stamped and coloured the books. As usual, the books were coloured using Fabre Castell Pitt Artist pens. The clock and gears on the right hand page were originally just stencilled on with Distress Oxide ink, but I later drew over them with a fineliner as the orange had become a little lost in the background.

 

-

Typewriter die: Loveable Library stamp and die set (Tonic Showcase #19)

Book and Armillary sphere stamps: Lady Vagabond ‘Lifestyle’ stamp set by Stamperia

Clock & gear stencil: It is by stamperia, but I’m unsure of its specific name. I believe it was from the ‘Voyages Fantastique’ collection.

Script text stamp: I am unsure which specific one I used, but any script stamp would achieve this effect.

Distress Oxide Inks: Tumbled Glass, Crackling Campfire & Ground Espresso

White Gel Pen: Sakura Gelly Roll

Metallic Copper Gel Pen: Uniball

Silver Paint Pen: Posca

-